Thursday, May 24, 2007

I just found a list...

It's dated 3/5/07, and it contains the names of four literary magazines and four poems. The poems were submitted that day to those magazines. I found the list while cleaning up my desk at work (a shock to those who know me) and it was lost in a stack of problems I'd been sidestepping.
Besides the magazines and titles of poems, the list reminds me of one other thing...it's been since March that I sent anything out. I have perfectly fine essays and a new poem or two that might be due for a foray, but the excuses for not sending them away are legion:
a. I'm a working mom, and my son's needs come first;
b. It's been a crazy semester at the library with two associates retiring;
c. I really, really hate rejection;
d. I'm dreadfully lazy. Really dreadfully lazy.
e. I'd have to stalk through the essays again, seeking out lines like (c) and (d) and running them through with an adverb spike.
Still, we are into the (somewhat) slower days of summer, when hiding inside in front of a keyboard is always a better option than risking the Phoenix sun. There's hope. Tell you what, I'll do it if you will. Double dog dare.

No comments: